Learning new things isn’t always fun especially for the elderly, many microwaves come with just the right functions but this can be too much for senior citizens.
This is why when going for microwaves for the elderly, you should consider user-friendly microwaves with basic easy controls so they wouldn’t have to spend too much time learning the new microwave controls.
Simple to use microwave for elderly UK should be easy to use so that at the touch of a button, the food can be heated.
SIMPLE TO USE MICROWAVE FOR ELDERLY UK
How to find a simple microwave for the Elderly and seniors for safer cooking at home. The simple act of getting something to eat can easily wear out the elderly, disabled, and senior citizens.
That’s why microwave ovens are highly needed for the elderly to assist them with quick-cooking or reheating of food.
Microwaves can greatly improve kitchen safety for seniors and the elderly especially the ones who live alone. It is of uttermost importance to find the best easy-to-use microwave for seniors and elderly people.
Below is a Buying Guide for buying a basic easy to use microwave for Elderly seniors;
The best microwave for seniors is one that is simple to use, safe to operate, and easy to clean. But what makes a microwave simple to use? Here are some important features to consider when you want to select a simple microwave for the elderly;
- Easy-to-understand controls: For a senior to safely use a Microwave, it must have simple, easy-to-use controls. Too many buttons, options, and controls are often too confusing for the elderly especially seniors with dementia or Alzheimer’s.
- Kindly avoid Microwaves with lots of buttons and features as senior citizens with dementia could easily forget the functions of the numerous buttons hence leading to injury or disaster.
- A good easy to use microwave for the elderly should have easy to read buttons and controls. It is important that seniors can read the prints on all the buttons or dial controls. This is helpful for seniors or elderly with vision problems.
- Look for large easy to read prints with lots of contrast. It is recommended that Big, bold Black block print on a white Background seems to be the easiest for most seniors with dementia.
- Pay attention to the size of the Microwave. It is not recommended you purchase a huge Microwave oven for the Elderly or senior citizens. However, it is advisable you get a Microwave that can hold a dinner plate. 10” inches wide and 10” deep inside measurement should be sufficient.
- Make sure you look out for Microwave oven with easy to push release handle especially for elderly with arthritic hands. The Old pull handle microwaves are probably the best option. Pull strength is easier for senior than pushing with fragile fingers.
- Auto-shut-off sensors are a great feature for seniors. Although microwave ovens with these features are expensive. They have the ability to sense when the food is done and then shuts off automatically. This helps to prevent burning, injury, and bad smells.
- Make sure you go for a Microwave that has a sound of a Loud Ding! The loud sound produced from the Microwave lets the senior or Elderly know that the food is ready. This is helpful with seniors with dementia as they easily forget. Microwaves that continue to sound until the door is opened are perfect for the elderly and seniors.
READ ALSO: IS A 700 WATT MICROWAVE GOOD?
BEST EASY TO USE MICROWAVE FOR ELDERLY AND SENIOR CITIZENS
Below are the best user-friendly microwave ovens for the Elderly;
WESTINGHOUSE 600 WATTS COUNTERTOP ROTARY MICROWAVE FOR ELDERLY
This is the best budget Microwave for seniors. It is just a plain, simple, basic, user-friendly microwave for the Elderly. It also has easy and simple-to-read controls.
Large enough to hold a dinner plate, the large pull handle is easy to open. Has a loud physical ding that is easy to hear.
WHIRLPOOL COUNTERTOP MICROWAVE FOR SENIORS (MODEL #WMC20005YW)
This is the best space-saving microwave oven for senior citizens/ elderly. It can perfectly fit into the corner of a kitchen and save space. It has an easy-to-use push-button control with a programmable reheat button.
Easily holds a full dinner plate and the door can be opened by putting your fingers in the recess on the side of the door. The time indicator has a fairly loud ding to alert you when the food is ready.
READ ALSO: CONVECTION MICROWAVE OVEN VS GRILL MICROWAVE OVEN
THE AMANA LIGHT DUTY MICROWAVE OVEN WITH DIAL TIMER (MODEL #RMS10DS)
This is the simplest microwave for the elderly and seniors and one of the best microwaves with dials. To control this microwave, all you need to do is turn the dial to set the time. No buttons! No knobs!
This is the perfect and best microwave for dementia patients too. The only con is that this Microwave is a Commercial grade Microwave so it’s expensive.
This microwave is extremely simple to use by turning the dial on the microwave to set the timer from 15seconds to 6 minutes. Can also easily accommodate a 12” inch dinner plate for quick and easy reheats.
The door opens with a full hand on the front that requires a Light pull. You will know the food is ready because of the loud bell ring.
READ ALSO: AMANA MICROWAVE MADE IN USA
READ ALSO: IS A 900 WATT MICROWAVE GOOD?
SHARP MEDIUM DUTY COMMERCIAL MICROWAVE OVEN (15-0429) FOR ELDERLY AND SENIOR CITIZENS.
This is the best programmable Microwave for seniors and is also recommended as the simplest microwave for dementia patients or forgetful senior citizens.
This microwave has buttons that can be programmed for use with certain foods. For example, a reheat button can be programmed to run for 1 minute at full power.
This feature has benefits for the elderly and seniors. A setting button could be set up for soup or frozen pizza or frozen meals. Another button can be set for reheating the morning coffee.
These settings are clearly and boldly written on the label of the Microwave. The Elderly user can press the button for the type of food they are cooking.
The pull handle is easy enough for most senior citizens and elderly to open and the loud bells sound when the food cycle is complete. Though it is also a commercial-grade microwave, it is expensive more than the common countertop microwave oven.
These microwave listed above offers to the elderly and seniors varying levels of ease and safety. Evaluate these microwaves for their current abilities and future too before making a decision.
READ ALSO: IS A CONVECTION OVEN BETTER THAN A MICROWAVE
READ ALSO: WHICH MICROWAVE IS BEST CONVECTION OR GRILL OR SOLO
FACTORS TO CONSIDER WHEN SELECTING A MICROWAVE FOR THE ELDERLY
There are microwaves designed specifically for the elderly and these are the features one should look out for
- Simple controls: The control panels should be easily understood for easy control
- Button Door: This is good especially for those with arthritis so they wouldn’t have to bend their hands to open the microwave.
- Bold Display: Some elderly may have sight challenges; the big bold display panel makes it easy for smooth controls.
- Sound Alert: This can be any sound like a click to notify them when the food is cooked
- Automatic Shutdown: This function is very important; you don’t want to burn down the house on one meal. This feature automatically shuts down once the food is cooked.
We can’t discuss the simple to use microwave for the Elderly without mentioning talking microwave. The talking microwave ovens assist the elderly, senior citizens, and those with low vision or no vision at all to successfully cook or reheat food.
Basically, the talking microwave oven has the ability to clear feedback speech as you press the buttons on the body of the microwave. It is very easy to use, giving you instructions as you cook.
You will be able to hear announcements such as: setting cook time, running cook time, current power level, microwave running, attending to food, etc. Current time announced. Adjustable speech volume. Time can be set and the remaining time will be announced.
If you are seeking convenience in the kitchen, then you need the talking microwave for dementia patients and the elderly to reduce the stress of cooking time.
Below are the best talking microwave for the elderly with dementia and senior citizens;
MAXIAIDS TALKING MICROWAVE OVEN
With the Maxiaids Magic chef Talking Microwave oven, you can easily hear spoken prompts for setting time and power levels.
This special talking microwave has 4 power levels, 1000 watts with 1.1 cubic feet, and measures 20.2 x 12 x 16.7 inches.
This microwave oven has been enhanced with talking functions in order to increase its accessibility. It’s the perfect choice for the blind and visually impaired, or anyone seeking greater convenience in the kitchen.
The microwave oven is powerful, the talking voice is clear, and the volume can be adjusted. It is expensive but does give the user a sense of independence.
COOK MAGIC TALKING MICROWAVE OVEN
The cook magic talking microwave oven is the best microwave for the blind, disabled and elderly. The talking feature can be programmed in either English or Spanish.
The Cook Magic Talking Microwave verbally guides you through the process of cooking with just the touch of a button.
The turntable diameter is 12.4 inches and Power consumption is1450W. The capacity is 0.9 cu. ft and wattage are 900 watts.
The buttons can be felt and they’re easy to remember. It has a very sturdy handle to open it (not a button you can’t see) and it tells you what you’re doing so you know if you’ve made a mistake.
It is very well made of metal, not plastic. Most importantly, it gives you some independence to fix your own meals. I would highly recommend this product to anyone who is disabled or blind. Well worth the price!
Finally, the cook magic-taking microwave oven has five memory settings and eight one-touch cooking buttons (Popcorn, Pizza, Soup, Fresh Vegetable, Potato, Beverage, Dinner plate, Frozen Vegetable).
TIPS ON MICROWAVE SAFETY FOR SENIORS
The following safety tips are given by the food and drug administration
- Read and follow manufacturer’s instruction: Following the manufacturer’s instruction will help you understand how best to use the kitchen appliance.
- Check if oven has damage or leakage: make sure doors are tightly closed and don’t use damaged oven.
- Don’t use oven when microwave keeps operating while it is open. The FDA warns.
- To be safe, stick to only microwave safe containers. ( Avoid metal and aluminum materials).
WHAT’S THE BEST MICROWAVE BRAND?
TIPS ON ADOPTING A NEW MICROWAVE FOR THE ELDERLY
Do you have a senior or elderly at home? Are you looking for tips on adopting a new microwave for the elderly? If yes, then this is just the right article for you.
Microwaves for seniors and the elderly have made kitchen life easier for them especially the easy-to-use or user-friendly microwave. With the help of a microwave, the elderly can cook healthy food easily and quickly.
An uncomplicated microwave for seniors saves time, energy and makes cooking fun for them. Now, what are the tips on adopting a new microwave for the elderly?
- Read out the instructions and explain very well to your senior or elderly.
- When purchasing a microwave for your elderly, get a spacious one so they don’t have to cook in bits.
- Get a microwave with big buttons to prevent confusion.
- Microwave for elderly should have visible read controls.
- Microwave for elderly should have loud enough alert sound and easy to use.
If you really want to take good care of your elderly then purchase a microwave that is easy to use, simple, spacious, and user-friendly.
WHAT MAKES A MICROWAVE SUITABLE FOR SENIORS?
Microwaves with turn knobs, clear button prints, and dial controls will be the simplest microwave for the elderly and seniors to use.
WHAT IS THE EASIEST MICROWAVE TO USE?
The easiest microwave oven to use especially for senior citizen and the elderly is the AMANA MICROWAVE OVEN because it has a handle for an easy pull, knobs for quick control, spacious interior, and easy cleaning plus maintenance.
WHAT’S THE BEST DEMENTIA-FRIENDLY MICROWAVE?
The best Dementia-friendly microwave is the Sharp Microwave Oven. It is dementia-friendly because it is easy to operate, heats food quickly, is durable, takes up less space, is convenient, and has a loud ding that reminds the dementia patient that the food is ready.
6 thoughts on “SIMPLE TO USE MICROWAVE FOR ELDERLY UK”
Comments are closed.